Goals are an amazing tool for motivation. But if you don’t set them up and execute them correctly, they can also be a source of frustration. Goals can only be EMPOWERING if they are used properly. So how do you empower your goals into reality so that they are a benefit to you?
Goal setting strategies can be very important, especially if you are looking to create the type of success you desire and deserve in both your personal and professional life. Below are five goal setting techniques I promise, if used, will help you take control and empower your goals.
- BALANCE YOUR GOALS: In your life you should have personal development, personal finance and material possession goals. Don’t neglect any of them. It is ok to want things, but don’t forget to balance those pursuits with your own personal growth. All of these goals are important so be clear about all of them and make them REAL to you.
- PLAN ACTIONS (to-do’s) FROM YOUR GOALS: Goals are not items for your to do list. Your goals are what you are striving for and your to do lists are a list of items that lead up to a specific goal. With that being said you need to plan specific actions (to-do’s) that lead you to your goals. Use your goals as a compass to get where you are going while your to do’s are the pit stops along way. When you plan actions (to-do’s) for the day you can easily tell if they are going to be effective if you have clear goals to compare them against.
- SHARE YOUR GOALS: Let me ask you a question, if you were an archer, would you keep it a secret that your goal is to hit the bull’s-eye? NO, you would be letting everyone know and that would be what they were expecting of you. To many people keep their goals a secret because they are afraid of the feedback they might receive. SHARE your goals with people who will support and encourage you.
- WRITE DOWN YOUR GOALS: I know everyone has heard this but by writing down our goals you make them REAL. Put copies of your goals on index cards and keep copies in the car, the bathroom, near your bed anywhere you can grab them at whim and review them on a regular basis. Make them the CENTER of your FOCUS. Don’t just set them and ignore them. Your goals are your compass for your life navigating you to where you want to be.
- DON’T GIVE UP: Your goals and the actions you take to reach them are two different things. When making your action plan (to-do’s) DON’T be afraid to try something and fail and DON’T let the failure discourage you. Instead, take effective and deliberate action to meet your goals and understand that any true goal will take many steps to achieve. Sometimes you will reach a cross road and you might want to just throw your hands up and abandon your goal. When this happens, set back and reflect on why you originally set that goal and why you are aiming for it. Remember, the only people who don’t reach their goals are those who have abandoned them.